Existing members of reading groups
Ways to take your reading group online
Suggested ways from Reading Groups for Everyone to take your reading group meeting online with group phone/video chat options to stay connected while observing social distancing guidelines.
You will need Wi-Fi or an Internet connection to use any of the following methods of staying in touch:
- Skype – online video/audio chat
- Google Hangouts – online video/audio chat. You will need a gmail or google account to access this platform.
- Zoom – online video/audio chat. For three or more people, there is a limit of 40 minutes
- Jitsi – online video/audio chat
- Facebook messenger – set up a group message and either chat online or arrange a video call
- WhatsApp video and phone call – set up a group message and either chat online or arrange a video call.
Accessing books for your reading groups while libraries are closed
Although libraries are currently closed you can still download for free ebooks and eaudio to use with your reading group.
- RBdigital have multi-access titles for both ebook and eaudio, so all your group can read or listen to the same title. Visit the Cambridgeshire Libraries RBdigital homepage and look for the carousels ‘Guaranteed Always Available’ on the eBook or eAudio home pages. We also have a list of titles (below) that are available as multi-access on Rbdigital, as both an eBook and eAudio.
- On Borrow Box we have a selection of ‘Cambridgeshire Listen in!’ campaign titles, we have a new selection every month and they can be downloaded by multiple users at the same time. This selection has been expanded to offer a wider choice of multi-access titles.
To access our eBook and eAudio items each person in the group will need to be a member of Cambridgeshire Libraries, if they aren’t already a member they can join online and their library card number will be emailed to them. They will also need to have access to a device to download the relevant apps. Information about devices, apps and how to use ebooks and eaudio items can be found on the online library pages of the library website.
Resources for reading groups
- Reading Groups for Everyone - sign up to get free books to read and review and enter exclusive competitions – from the reading agency
- Keeping your Reading Group Active – webpage with advice for reading groups from reading groups for everyone.
- BBC Arts - information for setting up and running a book group online.
Looking to join a reading group?
If you are looking to join a reading group there are plenty of options online.
ULibrary offer free online reading groups, with a different eAudio title available to listen to and discuss each month. They can be accessed from the app or from these two websites:
Information about online reading groups: